Saturday, June 20, 2009

Financial Peace University

I have missed blogging about Financial Peace University for a few weeks. It has been an enlightened few weeks. We learned about credit, buying, and insurance. It is so freeing not to buy into the credit scam any more, I know it seems imposable to live without credit but it's really not if your willing to give up a few comforts now so you can have comfort and security in the future. Or as Dave Ramsey Says, if you live like no one else later you can live like no one else. I refuse to pay for debt, not saying I refuse to pay off my debt but I refuse to pay credit card companies, car loan companies, and anyone else fees and fines to borrow their money. No thank you. I will save up my money and borrow that for free if I need it. I rented a car this weekend with just my debit card, I did have to show two utility bills that had no late fee's but that was a breeze and I don't have to pay interest on that car rental now.

I also am trying very, very hard not to be a shopaholic. If I want something I will shop for it, research it, and then try and find the best deal. No more impulse purchases over 100 bucks, though I do have to check with my accountability partner if I want to spend over 30. I also recommend anyone who is clueless about insurance to take this class. I learned so much and I finally don't feel like an idiot when I try and make insurance decisions.

I guess what I am trying to get across is this way of life is not easy, it takes sacrifice and time that I am willing to spend if I never have to worry about money in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Cool... I came across your blog today and wanted to encourage you on your journey. I've been a class facilitator for FPU for a few years now & am trying to reinvent our class right now, so I'm doing research to see what other folks are doing to hold themselves accountable.

    I rent cars all of the time with my Visa Checkcard & have never had to do anything beyond give them the card. That's interesting that you had to show the utility bills... Was it one of the national chains?

    Check out www.carrentals.com if you have to rent again. I always am able to get a compact/midsize car for between $14-18 per day by making sure I rent away from the airport, maybe that will help you out. You just make your reservation on that site & they have your info on file once you get to the rental facility. I've heard them quote their standard price over the phone while I was in office and the last I heard was about $80 p/day. WOW... Shopping big,big bargains!

    Be encouraged on your journey, its not easy - but it makes all the difference when you buckle down, keep your eye on the end of that debt snowball, and get 'er done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shix thank you for the info. I rented the car from enterprise. They told me that most of the other major carriers check your credit if you use a debit card. That's nuts. It cost me 28.00 a day to rent a ford focus. Thanks for the encouragement too. Have a great summer.

    ReplyDelete